Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Smoke House of Florence, A Barbecue Place on Mississippi Highway 49

If you’re traveling south from Jackson, Mississippi, toward Hattiesburg or the Gulf Coast, you might find the Smoke House of Florence an interesting place to have lunch.

When I ate there, I found the food good and the diners enthusiastic about what they were eating. The most outstanding aspect of the food was its plethora of selections. For example, few small restaurants serve both wet and dry ribs. Not only is there pulled pork; there is also pulled chicken. A daily lunch selection is fried dill pickles.

The workers made a more memorable impression on my mind than the food. First I noticed the server. She had the ability to serve unlimited groups at small and large tables with efficiency, accuracy, and grace. Also I’d like to compliment the hostess/cashier. After I paid and left the restaurant, I returned to my car and drove about five miles down Highway 49 when I realized my cell phone was nowhere in the car. As I returned to the Smoke House, the hostess standing behind the counter handed my phone to me.

All the cute spellings of words on the menu in an attempt to make it seem Southern aren’t necessary, but if we have good food on our plates and the workers are pleasant, we can tolerate the attempt to duplicate Mississippi-eze.

Here’s some essential information:

Location: 3091 Highway 49 S. Suite A Florence, MS

Hours: Mon - Thurs: 11 AM - 9 PM Fri - Sat: 11 AM - 9:30 PM Sun: Closed

Smoke House of Florence